Tuesday, September 24, 2013

6 Weeks to ING New York City Marathon: Last Week's Training

Summer has officially ended in Portland with the dark, rainy days of the fall returning. I'm looking forward to the short trip to sunny California for my tune-up in San Jose. This will be followed by a trip to Oklahoma to spend some time with my coach and enjoy the warm October weather in Stillwater. It will be nice to get some work in on their brand new track facility.

Last week's training went well again with two solid workouts. The Wednesday workout (4 mile, 3, 2, 1) was on the track in order to control the effort. My ability to finish in 4:32 after a very honest pace for the first 9 miles was a welcome surprise. I followed this up with a 16 mile tempo averaging 4:57.6 on Sunday. This was my fastest tempo at this distance and comes in the middle of a high volume block of training, days after a solid 10 miles of track work. I took water mixed with Powerbar gel (Tangerine with 50mg of caffeine) every 5km. I have been using this combination for a while, and it treated my stomach and body very well during the long tempo. It's important to practice taking fluids while running goal race pace; it is much more difficult than it sounds to put down 8 ounces of water every 15 minutes.

The volume last week dipped back to 135 miles in preparation for one more week at 150 miles which I am currently pushing through. I plan on keeping the volume fairly high through the half-marathon that is just under two weeks away in order to ensure I do not peak 4 weeks out from New York. Thanks again for reading, and I'll post again next week.

Week 8 AM PM Strength/Drills Mileage
Monday 12.5 6 40 minutes core 18.5
Tuesday 14 5
19
Wednesday 4 mile, 3 mile, 2 mile, 1 mile tempo (19:13, 14:18, 9:25, 4:32) off
18
Thursday 14 6 1 hour 20
Friday 10 + drills and strides 9
19
Saturday 12.5 6 30 minutes core 18.5
Sunday 16 mile tempo (119:22 – 4:57.6) + warm-up/cool down off
22
TOTAL


135

1 comment:

  1. Very impressed with your training, looks very solid. Keep rolling!

    ReplyDelete