Monday, January 20, 2014

12 Weeks to London: Last week's training

I'm getting into the critical training phase now as we get inside 12 weeks until the Virgin Money London Marathon. I'm going to continue doing a faster workout each week for a few more weeks. This helps keep my legs and my mind from grinding out the same pace for 12 to 14 weeks. It also makes the pace feel much easier when we start the longer tempo efforts.

I have decided to run the half-marathon in the Publix Gasparilla Distance Classic Race Weekend in Tampa Bay on February 23rd as a tune-up race before London. It still gives me 7 weeks before the marathon, so plenty of time to recover and continue with marathon specific training. I chose this race mainly due to the timing. The NYC half or Gate River could have both been great options, but it is difficult to run as fast as required to be competitive in a race of that depth during marathon training. They would be great options next year when I will not be doing a spring marathon.

I'm excited to be heading to Seattle as we speak on a train to hang out with all the folks at Brooks for a 3 day conference. It's always fun to make the short trip and mix up the training and also have the opportunity to see the other athletes, interact with the employees, and experience the new products.

The mileage is heading up to 150 for this next week, so it's time to really start focusing on recovery and rest. I'll be busting out The Stick, taking some serious naps, and getting some massage work. Obviously eating the right food is essential as well. Protein and carbs immediately following training are a must.

Thanks again for reading, and I'll be posting again next week.

Week 2 AM PM Strength/Drills Mileage
Monday 13 6 40 minutes 19





Tuesday 5 + drills and strides 11
16





Wednesday 5 8 x mile on hilly paved loop starting in 4:48 and working down to 4:29
20










Thursday 7.5 12.5 40 minutes 20





Friday 14 10 x 200 meters on track 29-32
20





Saturday 6 3 mile, 2 mile, 1 mile on track: 2 min, 1 min rest (all in 4:41-4:43)
20





Sunday Long Run off
20





TOTAL


135


5 comments:

  1. Hy Ryan! When do you usually get your massage(s) during the week? After or before a hard work out? Are they light massages or deep tissue massage(s)?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I like to get them the day after a hard training session. I'm usually too tender to get a high quality deep tissue massage the day of, and I also don't like getting them before my next workout.

      Delete
  2. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I have a half marathon in February and a marathon in May coming up - running 80 mpw and only increasing, and running all by myself is rough especially up here in Boston, but this is keeping me motivated! Looking forward to the next post.

    ReplyDelete