Thursday, April 23, 2015

Less than 2 weeks to Payton Jordan: Last week's training

The blog is out a couple of days late again, but below is the training from 4/13-4/19. Now that we're down to a week and a half, most of the hard work is in the books, and workouts will start to taper off. Last week consisted of two workouts, one of which was quite interesting, and the other was just simply tough. In order to start gearing up for pace-changes, either for the 10km at Payton Jordan or at the US Champs in June, we added a little speed play into my usual 4-mile track tempo. The goal was to run 400 meters slightly slower than threshold pace, then run 100 meters in 15 seconds, then back to a tempo 400 followed by another 15 second surge. I did this continuous for the 4-mile tempo with the aim of having the overall time be within the typical range (about 18:45-19:05). I got destroyed by a pretty gnarly hail storm which came on during the first lap of the workout, and lasted until the final few laps. Despite being frozen, I felt great aerobically and managed to run an 18:42 with the pace changes, never feeling out of my element. Having the surges to focus on also kept my head in the game during the storm.

This workout was followed by 5 x 1 mile on the track on Saturday with 3 minutes rest. It was quite a bit warmer than it had been lately in Portland, and it was bit breezy, but I was feeling strong, so the weather didn't seem to matter much. Starting in 4:28, I was able to work down to 4:15, giving me confidence that I can run 66 seconds per quarter for the upcoming Payton Jordan 10km, which is what I will need to do to achieve the IAAF 'A' standard in order to give myself a shot at qualifying for the Track and Field World Champs in Beijing this summer.

I'm doing my best to resist the temptation to get carried away working in our new yard and keeping my focus on recovering and resting.  My mother-in-law is visiting from the Czech Republic, so I've put her to work in my place ;) We are looking forward to the reaping the rewards heading our way from the newly planted vegetable garden as the summer begins to approach.

Thanks again for reading, and feel free to check out last week's training below. Follow me here on Twitter for more updates.

Week 20 AM PM Strength/Drills Mileage
Monday 9 5 40 minutes 14
Tuesday 5 4 mi tempo w/100 meter surges @ 15 seconds, total of 18:42, 6 x 200 @ 29-30 16
Wednesday 14 off 30 minutes 14
Thursday 10.5 5 + drills and strides 16
Friday 10 5 30 minutes 15
Saturday 2 mile shakeout 5 x 1 mile on track w/3 min rest (4:28, 4:24, 4:22, 4:19, 4:15) 14
Sunday 16 off 16
TOTAL 105

No comments:

Post a Comment