Friday, September 22, 2017

2 days to the Berlin Marathon: Last week's training

I'm sitting in my hotel room in Berlin, counting down the hours until race-time. The race starts at 9:15 (CEST) on the 24th, so the middle of the night for those trying to follow in the United States. I left for Prague on Sunday and arrived Monday evening, so I will have had almost a week to recover from travel. The jetlag is hitting me much harder this time than it did earlier in the summer, but fortunately my sleeping is almost back to normal with two nights to spare. I arrived in Berlin yesterday, and the brief 30 minute flight was as easy as it sounds.

This past week has been mostly focused on risk aversion: Flying to Europe early, sleeping as much as possible, being deliberate with food choices as to avoid food poisoning or any other digestive issues, thoroughly washing hands, pre-preparing my fluids for race-day, etc. I even switched taxis at the airport when realizing immediately that the driver was very sick. There is no reason to lose the last 11 weeks of marathon prep over something that is in your control. Now it's all on me come Sunday.

We will find out the final details regarding pace groups tomorrow, but it sounds like I will be in a 65:30 group at this point. I think this still puts me in a good position to set a PB as my current personal best is from London where we came through in 65:15 and faced some headwinds the second half. If I had run these same workouts before my stress fracture cycle, I would probably look to be more aggressive, but because I have not had many opportunities to race the last two years, I need to be patient and do my best to take a step forward toward the Olympic Trials for 2020. Even though my volume hasn't been quite as high as in the past, the quality has been steady across the board, and I think I have a chance to give sub-2:10:57 an honest shot.

As I mentioned previously, the front end of the race is going to be incredibly exciting, with Kipchoge, Kipsang, and Bekele all in contention for a new world record. Be sure to tune in at NBCSN.

Thanks again for reading. The final two weeks of training are posted below. Follow me here on Twitter for more updates.

Weeks to go: 2 AM PM Strength Mileage
Monday 14 off 40 minutes 14
Tuesday 12.5 5 + drills and strides 18
Wednesday 4 x 2 miles @ 4:40-4:45, rest = 2 min off 15
Thursday 12.5 off 12.5
Friday 11.5 4.5 40 minutes 16
Saturday 45 minutes + 8 x 200 meter hills off 9.5
Sunday 15 miles easy off 15
Total: 100

Weeks to go: 1
AM PM Strength Mileage
Monday off - travel to Czech off- travel to Czech 0
Tuesday 11.5 6 30 minutes 17.5
Wednesday 5 x 1km @ 2:55, rest = 1 min 4.5 15
Thursday 9.5 off 9.5
Friday 7 + drills and strides off 7.5
Saturday 4-5 miles off 4.5
Sunday Berlin Marathon off 15

5 comments:

  1. Good luck Sunday! Be patient and follow your plan. Try not to get caught up in any drama.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Best of luck, Ryan! I really appreciate your blog, and the glimpse into life and training for someone at your level. I'm looking forward to your post-race report. I'll be rooting for you!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Good luck, Ryan. I've always known you to be a smart, patient, tough competitor. I'm sure those qualities will be evident on race day. Go get your shiny new PB!

    ReplyDelete
  4. VMOnlineTraining is the quality online training institute in India, Hyderabad for the candidates who want to build their future in Information Technology. We are into online training with more passion and dedication from many years.
    vmware training
    vmware online training
    tsm online training
    tsm training
    devops online training
    devops training

    ReplyDelete