Tuesday, August 27, 2013

10 weeks out from the ING New York City Marathon: Last week's training

Below is the past week of training with 10 weeks to go to the NYC Marathon. After finishing the long term training calendar with my coach, we decided to put in a down week just before an increase in volume. While the week total was only 110, that included a planned day off, so the daily volume was still quite high. The next week will be a 150 mile week, so the day off was appreciated. I am now two days into the 150 mile week, and I will post that after my long run on Sunday. I am pleased with how my body has handled the training thus far, although the toughest is yet to come. I am hitting times now in workouts that I was hitting toward the end of my fall marathon training last year, so I feel that my steady progression is continuing.

I was particularly pleased with my 8 x mile workout listed below. I did the workout on pavement with a net uphill, and I had to jog the 2 minute rest in order to get back to the start line. So while the times are not incredibly fast, it was a great strength workout. The week was a great combo of faster miles followed by a long tempo closer to race pace. With the jump in volume this week I will make sure to pay close attention to my body and do what is necessary to stay healthy. That includes all the basics: icing, massage, STEM, not pushing recovery runs, nutrition, etc. The weather in Portland has been incredible for training, so I hope it keeps up! Thanks for reading, and I look forward to posting again next week.

Week 4 AM PM Strength/Drills Mileage
Monday 13 miles + drills and grass strides 6
19
Tuesday 15 6 1 hour 21
Wednesday 8 x mile with 2 minute jog rest, started 4:47 & finished 4:30 off
15
Thursday 11.5 5.5 1 hour 17
Friday 8 x 200 meter hills following 1 hour run 5.5
17
Saturday Planned day off
30 minutes core 0
Sunday 15 mile tempo @4:59 (6 mile warm-up/cool down) off
21
TOTAL


110




No comments:

Post a Comment