Thursday, January 7, 2016

Less than 6 weeks to the Olympic Marathon Trials: Last week's training

Last week's weather in Portland brought some challenges, but fortunately things are now back to normal. We had snowfall of only a couple inches, but freezing rain turned this into ice and it was not possible to run outside for about 2 and a half days without risking injury. Because Portland rarely sees this type of weather, the city is not prepared to deal with it. They have very few plows and nobody goes out to shovel their sidewalks, so even walking to the grocery store can be an ordeal in weather that people from the midwest or northeast would scoff at. In the end, I had to push my long run back from Sunday to Tuesday and I had to spend some time on a treadmill and an indoor track, so no major setbacks. With all the cross training I've done the last 6 months, neither the treadmill nor indoor track felt like the torture that it has in the past.

The week consisted of only one workout since the long run had to be moved, but that workout was a 12 mile tempo with an average very close to marathon pace. Just 2 and a half weeks before I struggled through a 10 mile tempo at 5:16 pace, so I am hopeful that if I can maintain this consistent progression, I may just be able to come into form at the right time.  More important than the workout at this point is the fact that I put in over 110 miles in 6 days, making the average daily volume closer to a 130 mile week, and I am still healthy. I finally feel like I'm back in full marathon training. Time is running out, so I must remain vigilant and continue to focus on all the small things:  diet, sleep, strength, rehab, etc. My only chance at making the 2016 team for Rio is to have everything come together perfectly, and I feel that I'm doing what I can to make that happen.

Thanks again for reading, and feel free to check out last week's training below.

Week 6 AM PM Strength/Drills Mileage
Monday 7 11.5 40 minutes 18.5
Tuesday 12 6 + drills and strides 18
Wednesday 12 mi tempo @ 5:01 avg. off 18
Thursday 12.5 6 50 minutes 18.5
Friday Cross training - XC skiing off 0
Saturday 12.5 6 + drills and strides 19
Sunday 13 6 40 minutes 19
TOTAL 111

4 comments:

  1. Ryan, my best wishes for you from Catalonia. I really think that you deserve one of the three places.
    Good training for the next weeks!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Ryan,

    I am a freelance writer working on a US Olympic Trials Preview. I'd love to get in touch with you, but don't see an email contact anywhere. You can reach me at: mprelle@mac.com

    Thanks and very best,
    Monica Prelle

    ReplyDelete
  3. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  4. When Was Running Invented Pretty good post. I just stumbled upon your blog and wanted to say that I have really enjoyed reading your blog posts. Any way I'll be subscribing to your feed and I hope you post again soon. Big thanks for the useful info.

    ReplyDelete