Thursday, June 29, 2017

Less than a week to the AJC Peachtree 10k

We're 5 days away from the AJC Peachtree 10k, and I'm looking forward to toeing the line for the first time since early May. After a disappointing Bloomsday Run, I took a couple of low intensity training weeks while I tried to figure out why I felt so wiped out even though I had been hitting solid workouts for a couple of months. I decided to get my blood work looked at, which I normally do a couple times per year, but didn't expect to find anything interesting as my key levels (vitamin b, iron, hematocrit, etc.) have been consistent for years. In the past I have actually had to back off my iron supplement as my levels were getting a little higher than necessary. This time was different; my ferratin levels had dropped by two-thirds from my last test even though I had been supplementing regularly. It seems the most likely explanation is the way in which I had been spreading out my calcium supplement throughout the day. I knew that calcium and iron should be taken at separate times in order to promote absorption, and I thought I was allowing enough time in between. Following my string of three stress fractures in 2015 and 2016, I was very persistent in my calcium, vitamin d, and magnesium trying to improve my bone density, but until this year, I had been taking them all at once before bed. A nutritionist recommended I spread these supplements out by taking them 3 times throughout the day (1 tablet was only 33% of daily recommended dose) to help with my bone density. It seems that this recommendation was likely preventing me from absorbing iron from my food or supplements thus causing the unusual fatigue. While I was able to have decent workouts, I was not recovering well and was having to run very slow on other days. Once I got the results after Bloomsday, I increased my vitamin b and iron supplementation, began taking calcium once per day in the evening, and did my first several workouts based purely on effort without looking at my watch until the end to ensure I wasn't racing to chase times. Within about two weeks, I started to feel like my old self again, and not only were workouts clicking, but easy days felt smooth as well. Unfortunately this has delayed my training by a few weeks heading into Peachtree, but I have had a solid 5-6 weeks, and it's not like I was starting from scratch. I'm optimistic moving forward, and I'm looking forward to using this as a spring board into a fall marathon, which I will hopefully be choosing within the next week. 

As usual, the Peachtree field is loaded, and the extra time between the USATF Championships and this race will allow more runners to come back. 10k will be a bit of a shocker for my body, but I've done what I can to prepare, and I plan on sticking my nose in it. I arrived in Atlanta 10 days before the race in order to acclimate to the heat as we've had an unusually cold spring and summer in Portland, and the humidity can be a tough adjustment. I feel great mentally and physically, and I'm looking forward to competing on Tuesday at 7:30 EST in Atlanta.  My last few weeks of training are below. They're not as detailed as before;I will add specifics for my week by week recaps leading up to the fall marathon. I'm looking forward to a great second half of 2017! Thanks for reading. 

Tuesday6/6/20178 x 1 mile at 4:48, 4:44, 4:40, 4:36, 4:32, 4:28, 4:24, 4:20, 2 min rests
Wednesday6/7/2017
Thursday6/8/201712 X 200m @29-30 or hill repeats
Friday6/9/2017
Saturday6/10/2017Tempo 3 mile, 2 mile, 1 mile (4:40, 4:438, 4:27) with 2min, then 1 min rests
Sunday6/11/2017Long. 2 hours
Monday6/12/2017
Tuesday6/13/2017 Weekly total: 110 miles
Wednesday6/14/20176 x 1 mile @ 4:36, 4:32, 4:28, 4:24, 4:20, 4:18 with 3 min rest
Thursday6/15/2017
Friday6/16/2017
Saturday6/17/201710 miles @5:10->4:45
Sunday6/18/2017Long, 2 hours
Monday6/19/2017
Tuesday6/20/201715 x 200m hills, Weekly Total: 110 miles
Wednesday6/21/2017
Thursday6/22/20174 tempo @ 18:50, 6 x 200 @ 29-30
Friday6/23/2017
Saturday6/24/2017Long 1:45,
Sunday6/25/2017
Monday6/26/201710 x 500 @ 78-79 w/100 meter jog (about 40 seconds)
Tuesday6/27/2017 Weekly Total: 90 miles
Wednesday6/28/2017
Thursday6/29/2017
Friday6/30/20175-6 x 1000m @ 71+ 4-5 x 200m @31-32
Saturday7/1/2017
Sunday7/2/2017
Monday7/3/2017
Tuesday7/4/2017RACE 

14 comments:

  1. I am really impressed after read this post it's all information is really helpful for all users.

    Optimum Nutrition Singapore

    ReplyDelete
  2. I just see the post i am so happy the post of information's.So I have really enjoyed and reading your blogs for these posts.Any way I'll be subscribing to your feed and I hope you post again soon.

    ReplyDelete
  3. يسعي الكثير من العملاء الي تجديد التعامل مع شركة دراسة لتقديم خدمات البحث العلمي لثقتهم الكبيرة في جميع الاعمال التي تتم من فريق العمل المتواجد لدي الشركة
    http://drasah.com/

    ReplyDelete
  4. تتمكن شبكة المعلومات العربية بتوافر فيها الكثير من التقنيات الخدمة في القدرة علي تلخيص الدراسات السابقة الاجنبية بواسطة فريق عمل مدرب جيدا علي هذه الخدمة كما له خبرة كبيرة في ذلك المجال
    http://www.maktabtk.com/

    ReplyDelete
  5. يحتاج الكثير من الباحثين الي التواصل مع موقع مكتبتك بصورة دائمة للحصول علي اعلي مستوي من الدقة في الترجمة البحثية التي يقوم بها فريق العمل

    ReplyDelete
  6. ร้อยไหม
    ร้อยไหมปรับรูปหน้า ปรับรูปหน้าที่ไหไนดี ร้อยไหมที่ใด











    ดี? กังนัมสถานพยาบาล



    เป็น



    คำตอบไม่ว่าจะเป็น ร้อยไหมหน้าเรียว เป็นวีไลน์แบบประเทศเกาหลี



    ด้วยไหมก้าง



    ให้ท่าน



    งาม



    แบบประเทศเกาหลี



    ลดอายุ หน้าเด็ก ไม่เจ็บ ไม่บอบช้ำ



    ไม่บวม หน้าเป็นวีเชฟ ลดเหนียง เหนียงกระชับสมปรารถนา






    ร้อยไหม เป็นอย่างไร






    การร้อยไหม เป็น



    เทคโนโลยีที่ช่วยขจัดปัญหา









    ผิวหน้าที่ไม่กระชับ หย่อนยาน



    คล้อย ให้กลับมากระชับ หน้าเรียว เต่งตึง เข้ารูป วีเชฟได้สมปรารถนา




    ร้อยไหม pantip
    ร้อยไหม กังนัม

    ReplyDelete
  7. Great and useful article. Creating content regularly is very tough. Your points are motivated me to move on. If you need articles, please visit my website: https://homeworkfor.me/blog/how-to-write-a-persuasive-essay-for-college-students-helpful-tips-and-topics .


    ReplyDelete
  8. Trade Stocks, Forex, And Bitcoin Anywhere In The World: roboforex login Is The Leading Provider Of Software That Allows You To Trade On Your Own Terms. Whether You Are Operating In The Forex, Stock, Or Cryptocurrency Markets, Use roboforex login Software And Anonymous Digital Wallet To Connect With The Financial World.: roboforex login Is A Currency Trading Company That Allows You To Trade Stocks, Forex, And Cryptocurrency.

    ReplyDelete
  9. This is very interesting, You're an excessively professional blogger. I've joined your feed and look ahead to in search of more of your great post. Additionally, I am glad to share a brilliant post about BSL Shaders Download for minecraft world. I hope you will really enjoy this shader pack. You can Download BSL Shaders from here.

    ReplyDelete