Friday, August 25, 2017

Less than 5 weeks to the Berlin Marathon: Last week's training

It was a long trip home, but I'm happy to be back in Portland for the time being. My wife and I had booked our tickets to Czech well before I had committed to Berlin, so we had built in a stopover in Barcelona on the way home as the tickets happened to be cheaper. We were there for three days, one of which happened to be the day of the attacks. We were about 10 blocks away with plans to walk toward Las Ramblas after lunch, so while we never felt that we were in any danger, it was a sobering experience. I feel terrible for the people of Barcelona as I am sure it strikes you completely differently when something of that nature happens in your own backyard. The rallies of solidarity the following day were inspiring. Most encouraging was the ability of the Spanish people to stand against fear while embracing the Muslim community of Barcelona.

On a lighter note, I chose my week of travel to be a down week in terms of intensity. I had a strong mid-week workout before flying to Barcelona, but used the uncertainty of the weather as an opportunity to force myself into a Fartlek for my Sunday run. I decided to push my long run until a few days later once I was back in Portland.

I did my best to grind out every run and every workout while in the Czech countryside in the hope that it would pay off with some confidence building workouts once I returned. I am relieved to say that I have felt amazing since landing and am looking forward to sharing the details next week. I have also been fortunate that Cam Levins is back in the neighborhood and we have been able to link up for a workout as well as some easy running. Most of my training since leaving Oklahoma State has been solo, but I am very appreciative for any opportunity to train with someone when possible, especially with someone with the work ethic and credentials of Cam. Hopefully we can help each other to our goals this fall and further into 2017/2018.

Thanks again for reading and feel free to check out last week's training below. Follow me here on Twitter for more updates.


Weeks to go: 6 AM PM Strength Mileage
Monday 14 6 40 minutes 20
Tuesday 12.5 + drills and strides 6 18.5
Wednesday 15 x 1km, 2:58 down to 2:51, 1 min rest 5 23
Thursday 11.5 5.5 40 minutes 17
Friday 13 5 18
Saturday 4.5 + drills and strides off 40 minutes 4.5
Sunday Fartlek: (5,4,3)(4,3,2)(3,2,1)(1,2,3) w/equal rest off 19
Total: 120

4 comments:

  1. VMOnlineTraining is the quality online training institute in India, Hyderabad for the candidates who want to build their future in Information Technology. We are into online training with more passion and dedication from many years.
    vmware training
    vmware online training
    tsm online training
    tsm training
    devops online training
    devops training

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great info. Lucky me I discovered your website by chance (stumbleupon). I have book-marked it for later! onsite mobile repair bangalore This website was... how do you say it? Relevant!! Finally I've found something that helped me. Kudos! asus display replacement Everything is very open with a clear clarification of the issues. It was really informative. Your site is extremely helpful. Thank you for sharing! huawei display repair bangalore

    ReplyDelete
  3. Good post. I definitely appreciate this website. Continue the good work! vivo charging port replacement It’s hard to find well-informed people about this topic, but you seem like you know what you’re talking about! Thanks lg service center Bangalore You need to take part in a contest for one of the highest quality blogs on the web. I most certainly will highly recommend this blog! motorola display repair bangalore

    ReplyDelete
  4. Marathon Training Schedule Wow, cool post. I'd like to write like this too - taking time and real hard work to make a great article... but I put things off too much and never seem to get started. Thanks though.

    ReplyDelete