Friday, April 14, 2017

Less than 4 weeks to Bloomsday

It's been quite a while since I have posted my training, and I apologize for that. Following my disappointment in New York, I decided to take a short break, and the break kept extending itself as new challenges arose. I also felt that I was continuing to toot my own horn when it came to workouts without producing race results. I'll give a very brief rundown of the last several months, and then give a recap of my most recent training.

NYC was several months ago, but I think it's important to note that no injury occurred. I simply had a bad day. Bad marathon days certainly happen, and I think one could argue this was my first truly bad day. The timing was rough after being hurt for so long. Training had been going well, and I was confident and ready. Fortunately that training has not gone to waste, and I continue to inch towards my best fitness. 

The next race was the US XC Champs, which I also had high hopes for, but disappointed myself once more. I don't know exaclty why, as my workouts for the 8 weeks leading up the race were strong by my standards. I can blame it on the fact that I hadn't finished a race in 18 months, or not going to altitude before, but either way, I didn't reach my expectations. I followed the US XC Champs with a few of the best workouts I have had in at least a couple of years and was excited heading into NACAC XC in Boca Raton, FL as well as Gate River in mid-March. Unfortunately, the week of NACAC, I suffered a small tear in my plantaris. I had originally thought I had damaged my achilles, but an ultrasound fortunately showed that was not the case. It still required 2 weeks in the pool, so there was a bit of a setback in fitness, but nothing overwhelming. I have been slowly building back up since then and am back to reasonable volume and training. I plan to start posting my training weekly again and look forward to a productive spring/summer. 

It seems that the plantaris injury was caused by wearing spikes during training after the long break from track workouts. Because of this I have decided to skip track this season and focus on the roads. I will be running the Bloomsday 12k on May 7th and look to follow this up with Peachtree on July 4th. I will likely select something between these races as well as something in the early fall. This will hopefully put me in position to have several months of 100+ mile weeks under my belt before building up for an early fall marathon. 

I truly appreciate all the support this last year and a half, and I am extremely anxious to turn all my training from the last half year into race results. Thanks for reading, and I'm looking forward to re-engaging with my blog!

Weeks to go: 4 AM PM Strength Mileage
Monday 6 + drills and strides 1 hour aqua jog 6
Tuesday Fartlek: (5 min, 4, 3)(4, 3, 2)(3, 2, 1) w/half recovery  5 40 minutes 17
Wednesday 14 off 14
Thursday 10 + drills and 150 meter strides 5 40 minutes 15
Friday 10 5 15
Saturday 3 miles, 2 miles, 1 miles (4:46 pace, 4:42, 4:39), rest = 3 min, 2 min 5 40 minutes 16
Sunday 18 off 18
TOTAL 101

9 comments:

  1. Great to hear how you're doing, been wondering how it has been going. All the best to you as you continue to progress! Looking forward to the Summer and Fall results!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey Ryan, if you're focused on the roads this summer, may I suggest you consider the BIX 7-Miler in Davenport, IA? It's always the last Saturday of July, which typically means hot, humid conditions, along with a very hilly out-and-back course. In my 37 years of racing, it's still my all-time favorite race. I've run it a dozen times. The spectating crowd rivals Boston's and they have THE BEST post-race party. It's a pure strength runner's course, and I think you'd do well there. Cheers! Tim

    ReplyDelete
  3. P.S. I'll be running Bloomsday as well this year, so see you there. Albeit a bit of a ways behind you... :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  5. "I'm not superstitious because it would be bad luck." Perfect!

    สูตรบาคาร่า

    ReplyDelete
  6. cara dá nem graça coitado [url=http://www.bet29.com/]Gclub[/url]
    do salo , nem sei pra que passou pelo jao . senta ai agora e bate palma pro fiel agora é jogar pra fazer

    ReplyDelete
  7. เมก้าสล็อต เว็บตรง สล็อตแตกง่าย สมัครฟรี ทุนน้อยก็เล่นได้ เดิมพันกับค่าย เมก้าสล็อต รับรางวัลแจ็คพอตสุดพิเศษ
    Megaslot ค่ายเกม pigspin เกมสล็อตออนไลน์ ใหม่ล่าสุด แตกง่าย เว็บไซต์สล็อตที่มั่งคั่งทุกการพนันสล็อตออนไลน์

    ReplyDelete