Thursday, September 27, 2018

Less than 6 weeks to the TCS New York City Marathon: Last week's training

After recovering from the half-marathon and the travel from Europe, I was able to ease back into workouts. We started relatively light with a 10 mile tempo at marathon effort, but we got a bit more aggressive on the Sunday workout with one of our staples. I started with a 3.5 mile warmup, then went through a normal routine of drills and strides before starting my 4 mile tempo on the track in which I average just under 4:45. I then changed my shoes from flats to trainers as quickly as possible and did a 10 mile run at about 5:45 pace before again switching shoes and starting another 4 mile tempo, this time at about 4:42, then cooling down for another 3.5, giving me 25 for the day. I went into this workout feeling fairly tired from the high mileage week, so even though the times aren't necessarily impressive, I was pleased with my effort. There also happened to be a soccer game going on and I had to dig back to my old football days to zig zag around kids and soccer balls in the middle of my second tempo. I'm sure I looked quite insane, gritting my teeth in pain while trying to also acknowledge I was essentially encroaching on their playground. It was a big effort, and I was proud of it.

There's only time for a few more big Sunday workouts, so I was very relieved to nail this one. The hard work is nowhere near over, but I do have a substantial number of miles and solid workouts under my belt so far. I need to keep the momentum going while staying healthy.

Thanks again for reading, and feel free to check out last week's training below.


140
Monday
9/17/2018
 AM: 14 + strength
PM: 6

Tuesday
9/18/2018
4 miles easy, 10 miles @ 4:57, 4 miles easy

Wednesday
9/19/2018


Thursday
9/20/2018
AM: 1 hour + 15 x 200 meter hills
PM: 40 minutes

Friday
9/21/2018
 AM: 12.5 + strength
PM: 6

Saturday
9/22/2018
 AM: 12.5 + drills and strides
PM: 6

Sunday
9/23/2018
4 mile tempo (18:55), 10 miles @ sub-6:00, 4 mile tempo (18:50)

1 comment: